LINGA SARIRA, ASTRAL PROJECTION, SOUND VIBRATION
AND THE SHAMAN’S WORLD
Early cultures suggest a belief that human beings have a double. In Sanskrit, it is called Linga Sarira, the bioplasmic luminous glow that surrounds the physical body. It is the first layer of seven subtle bodies all human beings have. The remaining layers are the emotional body, the mental body, the astral level, the etheric template body, the celestial body, and the ketheric template. These seven bodies create the auric body or auras. Auras are briefly discussed in a later module. For now, they are a way of determining a client’s physical, mental, and emotional states.
The Ancient Egyptians held a belief system that claimed the human soul had three parts: the ka, the ba, and the akh.(awk) The ka is comparable to the Linga Sarira. It is a person’s double. And it is this double that you see during an Astral Projection and sometimes during a Shamanic Journey.
Astral Projection also called Out of Body Experience, means your consciousness actually leaves your physical body. That is, your Linga Sarira or Ka leaves your body to travel. Therefore you can travel to different places and dimensions. I have done Astral Projection in my college classes. During such sessions, the students physically remained in my classroom. I used a CD designed for Astral Projection. There is any number of CDs, Videos, and Mp3 files available to help you Astral Project. Albert Fernando, author of Oneironaut(O-Niero-naut) says, “Shamans can travel in their minds without leaving their physical bodies. They can also journey while dancing, or walking, or performing rituals, playing drums, or sleeping.”(Answered, November 12, 2018).
From my perspective and experience, Shamanic Journeying’s details are more readily remembered and recognized; whereas, they are not in Astral Projection. Remembrance of information gained during a Journey is important. As a healer, that information is helpful in dealing with a client’s issues. Also, on a personal note, I believe Michael Harner’s “Journeying” that became popular in the 1980s and has remained the operative word in Shamanic Healing, because the traditional word ‘trance’ suggests something negative. Maybe spooky is a better word.
Not all indigenous people used hallucinogens to Journey. Sound has been and is used for that purpose. Sound, however, has another and certainly a more important role to play in the healing processes. Sound involves vibration. Vibration creates energy and your energy introduces you before you say a single word. Additionally, before I get into the details of sound and vibration, it’s our vibration, not our appearance through which we recognize one another’s souls.
Shaman of old did not know all the technical science behind vibrational healing as do modern shaman. For the early shaman, such knowledge was innate.
The Law of Vibration states that anything that exists in our universe, whether seen or unseen, broken down into and analyzed in its purest and most basic form, consists of pure energy which resonates and exists as a vibratory frequency or pattern. (Quora.com) Think about this for a moment: Nothing ever really rests including you.
Physical, mental, and emotional issues arise when the vibrational pattern gets out of sync. Each individual’s vibration pattern is different but to be healthy that vibration needs to be aligned with that of the Earth, of the Cosmos itself. Further, it is quite normal for vibrations to function at high and low frequencies within you as well as everything around you. When dealing with energy, remember like-energy attracts like-energy; that is, if you exude positive energy, positive energy will be returned to you. If, on the other hand, it is negative energy then that is what you will have returned to you.
Accepting the notion that all things vibrate, living as well as non-living things, then it becomes reasonable that early shamans used sound. The frequency of vibration impacts everything. Masuro Emoto, The Hidden Messages in Water, amply demonstrated the importance of the spoken word. Big deal, you say. Remember, the human body is composed of nearly 70% water. The shaman’s chant is a significant tool in bringing about healing in a client. The use of Om is a good example. Try repeating that for several minutes and see how much better you feel.
Science informs us that 20 to 20,000Hz forms the absolute borders of our hearing range. Further, our hearing is most sensitive in the 2000 – 5000 Hz frequency range. When our body’s cells are sick or damaged they no longer replicate normally. With the correct application of sound, these cells can be re-activated, that is, energized. Healing takes place. The shaman uses various tools to reactivate the client’s cells such as drums, flutes, and rattles. Tibetan bowls and crystal bowls are now added to healing sessions. Tools used in healing are discussed in Module Three.
Clients invariably want to know if they have low or high vibration. Generally, high vibrations are associated with positive aspects of one’s life. These positive vibrations include love, compassion, forgiveness, and sense of personal peace. Qualities such as hatred, fear, greed, holding a grudge, low-self-esteem, and depression are associated with low vibration. Physical illness falls within the low vibration category. I discuss ways of determining energy (vibration) levels in a client in Module Twelve.
The shaman during her or his initial client interview and body scan will note if there are a number of signs indicating there is low vibration. A cautionary note: You are not necessarily one hundred percent of either low or high, but somewhere in between. Here are 8 very general low vibration indicators.
- You feel you are in a rut. It’s that sameness that creates monotony and boredom.
- You have a sense of being apathetic; that is, you have no empathy for others.
- You are tired all the time.
- It is difficult for you to be forgiving, especially of yourself.
- You find it difficult to maintain lasting friendships; that is, you tend to be a loner.
- You are self-defaming and not as an effort to be humorous.
- You do not know what it is you really want.
- You feel others do not appreciate what you do.
What then, are the indicators that you have high vibration? As with the low vibration, you are seldom 100% high vibrations, but somewhere in between.
- You are very aware of what you say, of what you feel, and the impact this has on others.
- You express empathy toward others including animals and the environment.
- You have a sense of connection to that which is otherworldly.
- You nurture others as well as yourself.
- Others find you easy to talk to because you listen.
- You are open to many different beliefs and cultures.
- You feel you have found your ‘calling’ in life.
- You are highly intuitive.
The easiest way to decide the level of your vibration, that is whether it is low or high, is to simply pay close attention to how you feel especially when you get up in the morning.
If a client has a low vibration I often suggest he or she do the following before actually having a shamanic healing session. I also may suggest these as an after-treatment follow-up. Please keep in mind, these are suggestions, and neither I nor any other qualified healer will say these are a cure.
1. Take stock of your thoughts. Are they negative? Do you dwell on an unpleasant experience? If so, name the thought or experience and then say, “I don’t need you. Go!” Say that with strong feeling.
2. Take a good look at your surroundings. Focus on something you think is beautiful or something that makes you feel warm and comfortable.
3. Cut back on the sugars. Add some more protein to your diet. Eliminate TV snack foods.
4. Increase your intake of water. My yoga teacher is always admonishing me to drink more water. Doing so gets rid of the toxins that slow your natural vibrations.
5. Physically move about. Go for a walk; do yoga, or qi gong for example.
6. Do deep breathing exercises for ten minutes. Use Prana Breathing or Ujjayi Breathing techniques, or any other deep breathing technique that you prefer.
7. Listen to solfeggio recordings. Several excellent Mp3 files are available on the Internet that can be downloaded for free.
8. Express your gratitude to yourself and to the universe.
It is known that sound has different frequencies. We emit our own sound vibrations. The secret to healing with sound is matching frequencies. The shaman uses sound that she or he creates by using rattles, flutes, cymbals, and or drums. The shaman moves around the client’s body while creating sounds.
The Mindvalley blog, dated January 10, 2019, lists several ailments in which sound improves the condition: autism, depression, and anxiety disorder for example. Additionally, the article lists several areas positively affected by sound healing. Clarity, improved memory, and heightened awareness are examples. Specific hertz is used to create various states of perception. Faena Aleph in Eight healing Techniques with Sound lists four areas in which specific hertz are used. For example, concentration is improved at the 12-40 Hz level.
Shamans have used sound to help their clients heal for time immemorial. Modern research has slowly verified much of what is done in sound healing.
©Norman W. Wilson, PhD. 2020
Posted in Metaphysics & Mysticism, November 27, 2015.